A Royals source confirmed to TOI that the legendary batsman will indeed lead the team in the Champions League next month, perhaps for the last time. "He will be playing for us," the source said. Although Dravid had confirmed during IPL that if the Royals made it to the Champions League, he would be available for the team, doubts had been raised following the spot-fixing scandals. Sources said that Dravid was quite hurt by the scandals. He had also been called by Delhi police for his version.
Royals sources, meanwhile, said that they might not be asking for replacements for the three suspended players in the fixing scam — S Sreesanth, Ajith Chandila and Ankeet Chavan. "We are allowed to have only 15 players for the Champions League, which we have," he said. Their position regarding Siddharth Trivedi and Harmeet Singh is unclear. While Trivedi had voluntarily shared with police all details of approach from bookies, young Harmeet had been called following revelations that he too was on match-fixers' radar. "The team will take a decision on these players later," the source said.
Royals will attend a training camp in Jaipur in early September. They will play the tournament opener against Mumbai Indians at Sawai Mansingh Stadium here on September 21.